Monday, March 1, 2010

Fade In, Cue upbeat ditty by perky blonde songstress...

It's that time of year again, y'all! No, I don't mean March Madness. Well, yeah, that is true and cool. Even though the ACC sucks this year. I'm talking about Script Frenzy! A hundred pages in the 30 days of April. Madness, but in a fun way.

I tend to build stories around actors, or news articles that interest me. Last year, it was Jack Coleman plus the story of retired FBI Agent Robert Wittman, being snarky and investigating art theft. This year...I don't know yet. I have a major girl-crush on Carey Mulligan {Oscar-nominated for "An Education" -- yay!) and I'm fascinated by Ken Leung, who hasn't gotten nearly enough screen time in this final season of "Lost," so I feel the need to find a story for them. And even though most things I write have a comedic tone to them, I'll probably stick to the drama genre.

What I have in mind is a bit of wish fulfillment. I've always wanted to take my father to Austria but there's never been enough money, time, etc. So I'm thinking of this father-daughter trip on one of those European package deals. The typical tourist-y thing with itineraries and bad food and fanny packs. And maybe Ken Leung is there as the jaded tour guide to provide a bit of romantic tension. But it's basically the father and daughter getting past their issues and coming to some sort of understanding. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I need a hook or an inciting incident. I need to get to know who my characters are. I need witty dialogie to pad the scenes and fill out a hundred pages. But this is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment